SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” It is the process of getting traffic from the “free,” “organic,” “editorial” or “natural” listings on search engines. All major search engines such asGoogle, Yahoo and Bing have such results, where web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users. Payment isn’t involved, as it is with paid search ads.
Start With A Movie!
New to SEO? Why not take three minutes and watch our video introduction to search engine optimization? It’ll quickly cover the basics:
More Advice For Newbies
For more basic but also in-depth advice, our Periodic Table Of SEO Ranking Factors, shown below, introduces you to all the key concepts you need to know:
You can click on the table to view a larger version of it. You can download a copy to print for easy reference!
Search Engine Land’s Guide To SEO
As a companion to the table, Search Engine Land’s Guide To SEO explains the ranking factors in more depth, in a tutorial providing tips and advice on implementing them. Links to the entire guide are shown below (start at the beginning, and each page will take you to the next):
- Introduction: Search Engine Land’s Guide To SEO
- Chapter 1: Types Of Search Engine Ranking Factors
- Chapter 2: Content & Search Engine Ranking Factors
- Chapter 3: HTML Code & Search Engine Ranking Factors
- Chapter 4: Site Architecture & Search Engine Ranking Factors
- Chapter 5: Link Building & Ranking In Search Engines
- Chapter 6: Social Media & Ranking In Search Results
- Chapter 7: Trust, Authority & Search Rankings
- Chapter 8: Personalization & Search Engine Rankings
- Chapter 9: Violations & Search Engine Spam Penalties
- Chapter 10: Blocking & Search Engine Results
More Guides & Books
Another excellent guide is Google’s “Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide.” This is a free PDF download that covers basic tips that Google provides to its own employees on how to get listed. You’ll find it here.
There are also a variety of print books you might consider. Here’s our review of some newer books: A Roundup Of Best SEO Books.
SEO Resources From Around The Web
There are a number of blogs and forums that focus heavily on SEO topics, including: aimClear, Blogstorm, Bruce Clay Blog, David Naylor, Eric Ward, Fire Horse Trail, High Rankings Forum, John Andrews, Matt Cutts, Michael Gray, Mikkel deMib Svendsen, Nine By Blue, Outspoken Media, Search Cowboys, Search Engine Guide, Search Engine Journal, Search Engine Land, Search Engine Watch, Sebastian’s Pamphlets, SEOmoz, SEOoptimize, SEO By The Sea, SEO Book, SEO Copywriting, SEO Gadget, Stone Temple, The Link Spiel, WebProNews and WebmasterWorld.
At Search Engine Roundtable, you’ll discover a regular compilation of important discussions happening on a variety of search marketing forums. For definitions about terms like SEO and other technological issues, check out Webopedia.
Don’t forget to take our free SearchCap newsletter! SearchCap provides a recap of all the day’s SEO-related news from sources all over the web.
Search Engine Land Columns
Search Engine Land has a variety of columns that cover SEO issues mainly from an in-the-trenches perspective:
- All Things SEO
- B2B Search Marketing
- In House Search Marketing
- In The Trenches
- Industrial Strength
- Link Week
- Local Search
- Search & Social
Top Search Engine Land Articles
Here are a few of Search Engine Land’s more popular articles about SEO:
- Some SEO Advice For Bill Gates
- 29 Worst Practices & Most Common Failures: SEO Checklist
- SEO Checklist Part 2: Best Practices
- 36 SEO Myths That Won’t Die But Need To
- 36 More SEO Myths That Won’t Die But Need To
- 21 Essential SEO Tips & Techniques
Search Engine Land’s Library
The SEO Library is an area within Search Engine Land that provides a collection of all stories we’ve written on the topic of SEO. We also have sub-categories, including:
- SEO: Blocking Spiders
- SEO: Blogs & Feeds
- SEO: Cloaking & Doorway Pages
- SEO: Domain Names & URLs
- SEO: Duplicate Content
- SEO: Flash
- SEO: General
- SEO: Image Search
- SEO: Local
- SEO: Mobile Search
- SEO: Redirects & Moving Sites
- SEO: Spamming
- SEO: Submitting & Sitemaps
- SEO: Tagging
- SEO: Titles & Descriptions
- SEO: Video Search
- SEO: Writing & Body Copy
Also see our related Link Building category and these sub-categories:
In addition to covering SEO generally, Search Engine Land also has search engine optimization areas specifically for each of the major search engines: